Lecture at Foreign Service Academy Islamabad
22 October 2019
World is changing rapidly:
- Post WWII order is crumbling: Transition from uni to multi polar.
- Change is ubiquitous: Trade, Immigration, Nationalism. Identity
- Major power competition intensifying. Rise of China, Asia Pivot, Indo Pacific Strategy, Indo-US strategic partnership, Trump’s America First and Security Strategies.
South Asia too is impacted by the global trends:
- US tilt towards India, Modi emboldened to take hardline on Kashmir and minorities. Hindutva.
- China Pakistan alignment.
- Afghanistan. A change in US approach has kindled ray of hope.
- Broader ME. US approach fueling Iran Saudi rivalry.